Thursday, February 7, 2008

Let my people go surfing (the education of a reluctant business man)- Yvon Chouinard

I’m sold. Where do I sign? In this book, the founder and owner of Patagonia Inc., details the history of the company and it’s philosophies (from production to human resources). He is fiercely passionate about environmental activism to the point that it seems to have shaped his religious and political views, and he shares it all in the book.

An active outdoorsman, Chouinard founded Patagonia accidentally when he started developing climbing gear for his own personal use before it even existed anywhere else. As climber friends started requesting his gear the demand mandated a more formal operation which evolved into the Patagonia you know today (well….for climbing equipment it‘s Black Diamond Ltd.).

I happened across this book after a segment on NPR about the corporate culture at Patagonia piqued my interest in working for the company. After reading it I am more determined than ever to land a job there. Contacts anyone?

No comments: